Beijing Municipal Bureau of Health has the following main functions:
1. Submit local draft laws and regulations in relation to health. Draw up and implement the master plan and objectives of the reform and development of health undertakings in Beijing. Formulate technical and health standards and supervise the implementation.
2. Plan and coordinate the allocation of health resources in Beijing. Work out and implement plans for district health work, guidelines for the development of community health service and relevant service standards.
3. Prevent and treat infectious diseases and release the list of monitored infectious diseases. Supervise and manage the sanitary conditions of food, workplaces, environment, radiation and schools.
4. Draw up and implement plans and policy measures for health work in rural areas, for women and children, and for primary health care. Guide and supervise the implementation of special technology for mother and child health care and family planning technology.
5. Supervise the medical and health industry. Manage medical institutions and formulate detailed rules for the work of medical personnel, quality standards of medical treatment and service standards and supervise the implementation.
6. Supervise and manage blood-collection and blood-provision stations and the quality of blood for clinical purpose. Mobilize and organize citizens to donate blood gratis.
7. Draw up and implement plans for the development of medical science and technology and education in Beijing. Organize professionals to tackle key research projects of medicine and health. Evaluate and promote the application of the products and findings of medical science and technologies.
8. Formulate and implement development plans for medical professionals and ethics standards for medical personnel. Implement the national aptitude standards for health workers, and bring in health professionals from elsewhere.
9. Organize and coordinate international exchanges and cooperation with, inter alia, the WHO in the medical and health area, as well as medial assistance to foreign countries.
10. Implement the principle of laying equal stress on traditional Chinese medicine and western medicine. Promote the inheritance and innovation of Chinese medicine and encourage cooperation between Chinese and western medicines.
11. Undertake relevant work of the patriotic sanitation campaign. Undertake medical and health care work for those designated by the Beijing Health Services Committee. Manage the medical work for relevant cadres of various government departments in Beijing.
12. Organize health technical forces of the whole city to cope with major health emergencies. Prevent and control the outbreak and spread of epidemic diseases. Set up a first-aid medical system and organize major rescue operations.
13. Allocate large medical equipment in health institutions and supervise their application quality. Manage the production of medicaments. Organize and supervise concentrated procurement of medicine by health institutions.
14. Study, work out, establish and improve a compensation mechanism for health undertakings. Formulate and implement relevant policies concerning the reform of the health system, such as expanding fund-raising channels. Control the aggregate volume and adjust the structure of medical expenses. Study, set and manage the price for medical services.
15. Set out basic medical service items and standards. Participate in the management of basic medical expenses.
16. Undertake other duties assigned by the Municipal Government.