Beijing Municipal Commission of City Planning has the following major functions:
1. Organize research on rural and urban planning and construction, draft and formulate relevant policies, participate in the planning of Beijing's economic and social development, and coordinate plans for short-term and annual construction and rural-urban development.
2. Submit draft municipal laws, regulations and technical standards on urban and rural planning, oversee their implementation and participate in their assessment, approval, coordination and amendment.
3. Administer the formulation and revision of the city's overall planning, district planning, restrictive and detailed planning, county-level planning and key areas' planning; examine and approve those plans and put on file approved plans; examine and approve certain detailed plans in accordance with relevant regulations.
4. Organize the implementation of plans, oversee the plans of and select locations for construction projects and issue permits for planned land use and planned construction projects; examine the initial design of construction projects.
5. Organize implementation assessment of plans of all categories; oversee the implementation of plans of construction projects in the city; deal with irregularities and violations.
6. Manage municipal survey and mapping; formulate plans and schemes for the development of urban survey and mapping; administer the qualification and certification of survey and mapping entities in Beijing; manage survey and mapping results and their application.
7. Administer the qualification assessment, design quality and bidding processes of geotechnical entities based or operating in Beijing and entities from Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, Macao Special Administrative Region, the Taiwan region and foreign countries.
8. Make plans for place names and administer place name giving and change.
9. Manage the geographical information system for the city's urban and rural planning and planning archives.
10. Lead the administrative authorities of planning at the county or district level.
11. Undertake other duties assigned to it by the Beijing Municipal Government and the Capital Planning and Construction Commission.