Beijing Municipal Bureau of Civil Affairs has the following main responsibilities:
1. Research and draft local laws and regulations regarding civil affairs; formulate mid- and long-term development programs for civil affairs and ensure implementation.
2. Be responsible for registration and annual inspection of social organizations established in Beijing, branch offices in Beijing set up by social organizations from outside Beijing, and social organizations set up by compatriots in Hong Kong SAR, Macao SAR, and Taiwan and resident foreigners in Beijing; give guidance to registration and management of district and county-level social organizations; investigate and deal with law-breaking activities by Beijing-based social organizations or unregistered illegal groups acting in the name of social organizations.
3. Be responsible for registration and annual inspection of private non-business units; investigate and deal with law-breaking activities of private non-business units and those that have not registered.
4. Support the military, give preferential treatment and amenities to families of armymen and martyrs, and commend martyrs; set standards for amenities and preferential treatment, and oversee their implementation; reward and protect courageous people helping others in dangerous situations.
5. Be in charge of resettlement and employment of retired soldiers and officers, demobilized officers, and retired military employees without military status; coordinate and guide military-supply work and administration of retired officers’ rest homes whose management has been transferred to local authorities.
6. Organize disaster relief and inspection, give out relief materials and money; accept, manage and distribute social donations, inspect and oversee the use of relief materials and money.
7. Set up and implement subsistence allowance systems for rural and urban citizens; manage social relief work, organize and guide community mutual aid initiatives; design policies for households enjoying guarantees in food, clothing, medical care, housing and funeral expenses, and ensure implementation.
8. Give guidance to building of rural and urban state organs and self-government at the grass-roots level, promote self-government activities by villagers.
9. Draft community service programs, give guidance to community service and promote community building; give guidance to information network building in communities.
10. Be in charge of the establishment, cancellation, readjustment and name-change of administrative districts in Beijing; research and revise overall planning of administrative districts in Beijing; be in charge of district and county border-dispute settlement.
11. Give guidance to protection of rights for senior citizens, orphans, the disabled and other vulnerable groups; design and organize implementation of social welfare programs, give guidance to the service and management work of social welfare units; give guidance to the issuing and selling of welfare lotteries and the use of welfare funds.
12. Be in charge of registration and management for marriage and child adoption; promote funeral service reform, give guidance to management of funeral service units; administer offices receiving people who come to Beijing for appeals.