Instructions on Application for Employment Residence Permits and Its Extension for Foreigners
I Applicant Eligibility
Foreigners who are authorized to work in Beijing.
II Supporting Documents and Relative Requirement
1. Valid passport or other international travel documents.
2. Completing the VISA / STAY PERMIT / RESIDENCE PERMIT APPLICATION FORM with black ink or sign pen, attached with a recent half-length, white background, bareheaded, full-faced 2-inch color photo.
3. Valid accommodation registration of the applicant obtained from local police station or hotel of present residence.
4. Employment permit or short-term employment certificate issued by the competent departments of human resources and social security or foreign expert office in Beijing.
5. Verification letter from the Employer with official seal.
6. Foreigners who participate in recreational and sports activities shall submit the performance license, relevant correspondence and list issued by the competent departments of culture and sports.
7. Foreign employees of foreign cultural centers in Beijing:
a. for those bearing official passports, shall provide confirmation letter of delegation staff issued by government of the sending state.
b. for those bearing ordinary passports, shall provide confirmation letter of employment issued by the foreign cultural center as employer and certificate of employment permit as well.
8. The non-Z visa holders shall submit certification materials in accordance with the introduction condition and requirement of foreign high level and exceptional ability talents in urgent need of China determined by competent department of Chinese government.
9. Foreigners who apply for residence permit for the first time shall submit health certificate issued by Beijing Entry-Exit Health and Quarantine Department (Beijing International Travel Health Care Center).
10. Other supporting materials that the Exit-Entry Administration Department may require.
Ⅲ Timeline for Application
Validity period of the residence permit may vary regarding to different employment conditions and identities of applicants, which is no longer than 5 years and shall be no less than 90 days for the first-time applicant.
Ⅳ Points for Attention
1. The applicant shall go through a face-to-face interview. However, for applicants who are aged above 60, or inconvenient to travel or apply for an extension of residence permit due to disability, or exceptional ability talents qualified as much-needed of the state, the host organization or a particular service agency can submit the application on behalf of the applicant (a copy of the trustee’s ID is required). Nonetheless, if the Exit-Entry Administration Department notifies the applicant that an interview is necessary, the applicant shall go through the interview personally.
2. For the above-stated materials, the original documents need to be verified, and submit the copies.
3. Any application materials in foreign language (except English) should be translated into Chinese by qualified translation Company before submission.
4. Applicant who doesn’t nullify cancel China's household registration should apply after the cancellation of household registration. The relevant cancellation certificate issued by local police station of the registration shall be submitted if the Exit-Entry Administration Department consider it necessary.
5. Relevant rules please refer to No. 23 Notice of the Regulations on Foreigners’ Visa Application.