Instructions on Application for Private Business Residence Permits and Its Extension for Foreigners (Visiting Family)
I. Applicant Eligibility
Foreigners who pay a long-term visit to their foreign family members residing in Beijing for work or study, which includes spouse, parents, children under 18 and the spouse’s parents.
II. Supporting Documents and Relative Requirement
1. Valid passport or other international travel documents.
2. Completing the VISA / STAY PERMIT / RESIDENCE PERMIT APPLICATION FORM with black ink or sign pen, attached with a recent half-length, white background, bareheaded, full-faced 2-inch color photo.
3. Valid accommodation registration of the applicant obtained from local police station or hotel of present residence.
4. Supporting documents from the family member in Beijing such as travel documents, residence permits and proof of family relationship or kinship:
a. S1 visa holder shall provide the certificate of family relationship or kinship or the certificate letter from the family member in Beijing to prove the family relationship, which shall give every detail of the applicant’s travel to China and all information provided shall be true and correct.
b. Non-S1 visa holders shall provide the certificate of family relationship or kinship and the certificate letter from the family member in Beijing to prove the family relationship, which shall give every detail of the applicant’s travel to China and all information provided shall be true and correct. (Certificates of family relationship or kinship issued by foreign authorities or notary offices need to be authenticated by the Chinese Embassy or Consulate in the relevant country).
5. Foreigners who are more than 18 years old and apply for residence permit for the first time shall submit health certificate issued by Beijing Entry-Exit Health and Quarantine Department (Beijing International Travel Health Care Center).
6. Other supporting materials that the Exit-Entry Administration Department may require.
Ⅲ. Timeline for Application
The family visitors can apply for a residence permit with the same term of validity as that of the person to be visited. For first-time applicants, the term shall be no less than 180 days.
Ⅳ. Points for Attention
1. The applicant shall go through a face-to-face interview. However, for applicants who are aged above 60, or inconvenient to travel due to disability, or applying for an extension of residence permit, the host organization or a particular service agency can submit the application on behalf of the applicant (a copy of the trustee’s ID is required). Nonetheless, if the Exit-Entry Administration Department notifies the applicant that an interview is necessary, the applicant must go through the interview personally.
2. For the above-stated materials, the original documents need to be verified, and submit the copies.
3. Any application materials in foreign language (except English) should be translated into Chinese by qualified translation Company before submission.
4. Applicant who doesn’t nullify cancel China's household registration should apply after the cancellation of household registration. The relevant cancellation certificate issued by local police station of the registration shall be submitted if the Exit-entry Administration Department consider it necessary.
5. Relevant rules please refer to No. 23 Notice of the Regulations on Foreigners’ Visa Application.