Instructions on Application for Family Reunion Residence Permits and Its Extension for Foreigners(Visiting Family)
I Applicant Eligibility
Foreign nationals who pay a long-term visit to their family members residing in Beijing, who are Chinese citizens or foreigners with permanent residence status in Beijing and the kinship includes spouse, parents, the spouse’s parents, children, siblings, grandparents, grandchildren, and children’s spouse.
II Supporting Documents and Relative Requirement
1. Valid passport or other international travel documents.
2. Completing the VISA / STAY PERMIT / RESIDENCE PERMIT APPLICATION FORM with black ink or sign pen, attached with a recent half-length, white background, bareheaded, full-faced 2-inch color photo.
3. Valid accommodation registration of the applicant obtained from local police station or hotel of present residence.
4. For Q1 & Q2 holders, certificate letters of family relationship or kinship, which shall give every detail of the applicant’s travel to China and all information provided shall be true and correct.
For non-Q1 & Q2 holders, the proof of family relationship or kinship shall be submitted additionally besides the aforesaid documents (Certificates of family relationship or kinship issued by foreign authorities or notary offices need to be authenticated by the Chinese Embassy or Consulate in the relevant country).
5. The identification documents of the person to be visited and a proof of over 6 months’ residence in Beijing as follows:
a. Chinese citizen: Beijing Household Register or Temporary Residence Permit in Beijing and Identification Card.
b. Visiting an overseas Chinese: China passport, certificate of overseas residence status, a Registration Form of Temporary Residence with validity of over 6 months issued by the local police station of present residence or a certificate of over 6 months’ employment issued by the employer in Beijing.
c. Hong Kong or Macao residents: valid Mainland Travel Permit for Hong Kong and Macao Residents, and a Registration Form of Temporary Residence with validity of over 6 months issued by a local police station or a certificate of over 6 months’employment issued by the employer in Beijing.
d. Taiwan residents: valid Mainland Travel Permit for Taiwan Residents or Travel Document of People’s Republic of China, and a Registration Form of Temporary Residence with validity of over 6 months issued by a local police station or a certificate of over 6 months’ employment issued by his/her employer in Beijing.
e. Foreigner with permanent residence status in Beijing: the Foreigner’s Permanent Residence Card in China.
6. Foreigners who are more than 18 years old and apply for residence permit for the first time shall submit health certificate issued by Beijing Entry-Exit Health and Quarantine Department (Beijing International Travel Health Care Center).
7. Other supporting materials that the Exit-Entry Administration Department may require.
Ⅲ Timeline for Application
Those who are under 18 or over 60 can apply for a residence permit with validity of no longer than 3 years (for those who are under 18, the expiration date can’t exceed their 18th birthday). The others can apply for a residence permit with validity of no longer than 2 years. First-time application should be for a valid term of no less than 180 days.
Ⅳ Points for Attention
1. The applicant shall go through a face-to-face interview. However, for applicants who are aged under 16 or above 60, or inconvenient to travel or apply for an extension of residence permit due to disability, the family member of applicant or a particular service agency can submit the application on behalf of the applicant (a copy of the trustee’s ID is required). Nonetheless, if the Exit-Entry Administration Department notifies the applicant that an interview is necessary, the applicant must go through the interview personally.
2. For the above-stated materials, the original documents need to be verified, and submit the copies.
3. Any application materials in foreign language (except English) should be translated into Chinese by qualified translation Company before submission.
4. Applicant who doesn’t nullify cancel China's household registration should apply after the cancellation of household registration. The relevant cancellation certificate issued by local police station of the registration shall be submitted if the Exit-Entry Administration Department consider it necessary.
5. Foreigners under 18 who submit the application for the first time in China shall prepare the birth certificates, passports of parents and certification of overseas residence status.
6. Relevant rules please refer to No. 23 Notice of the Regulations on Foreigners’ Visa Application.