Procedure of Temporary Visits to China of Foreign Journalists for Interviews
(i) Visa Application
Foreign journalist who will temporarily visit China for interview shall apply for a J-2 visa at a Chinese embassy or consulate or a visa agency authorized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs after obtaining the consent of the organizations or individuals to be interviewed in China. The applicant shall submit the following materials to the Chinese embassy or consulate or the visa agency authorized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs 30 days in advance:
1. The application letter (including the personnel list, arrival and departure time, interview location, the content of the interview, the information about the press organization such as profile, address, the telephone number, the fax, etc.) signed by the person in charge of the press organization which the applicant works for and the detailed schedule of the activities in China;
2. An invitation letter provided by the organization or individual to be interviewed;
3. Copy of the applicant's passport, certification document of professional journalist and contact information;
4. Visa application form;
For foreign journalist who will visit China with head of foreign state, head of government, parliament president, members of the royal family or senior government official, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or relevant departments of his/her country shall apply for visa at the Chinese embassy or consulate or the visa agency authorized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of China.
(ii) Visa Extension
In case that foreign journalists need to extend the interview time for legitimate reasons, those in Beijing may go to the Exit and Entry Administration Office of the Beijing Municipal Public Security Bureau to apply for visa extension after obtaining the consent of the Information Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of China or the Foreign Affairs Office of Beijing Municipality; those outside Beijing may go to the exit and entry administration department of the local public security organ to apply for visa extension after obtaining the consent of the local provincial foreign affairs office.
(iii) Exit and Entry of Interview Equipment
Foreign resident news agencies and foreign journalists entering or leaving China with interview equipment shall go through relevant formalities in accordance with the regulations of the customs:
1. Foreign resident news agencies and foreign journalists entering or leaving China with interview equipment shall go through relevant formalities in accordance with Regulations of the Customs of the People's Republic of China on the Supervision of Entry and Exit Public Goods of Resident Organizations (Order No. 115 of the General Administration of Customs, http://www. customs.gov.cn).
2. In case that the accompanying journalists of the state guest delegation led by foreign head of state, head of government and foreign minister visit China temporarily with professional interview equipment for professional photography, videography, editing, etc., the customs at the place where he/she enters will handle related procedures for the equipment according to the “Certificate of State Guest Accompanying Journalist Equipment” and equipment list issued by the Information Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of China. After the visit, the accompanying journalists shall promptly exit with the interview equipment.
3. In case that the foreign journalists have short-term visit in China with professional interview equipment for professional photography, videography, editing, etc., if the inviting organization is qualified by the customs to issue a letter of guarantee, he/she shall submit the invitation letter and equipment list to the customs at the place of entry and present his/her J-2 visa; if the inviting organization is not qualified by the customs to issue a letter of guarantee or the foreign journalists visit China without an invitation, he/she shall submit a letter of guarantee from China's domestic banks and financial institutions or a deposit equivalent to the tax of the equipment and the equipment list to the customs at the place of entry, and present his/her J-2 visa. After the interview, the journalists shall promptly exit with the interview equipment and go through the formalities of the guarantee letter or deposit settlement at the original entry customs office.
4. Foreign resident news agencies and foreign journalists that need to temporarily import radio communication equipment for interview shall also submit the approval documents issued by the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology or the local radio administration, the communication center of the Ministry of Transport, and other relevant departments to the customs at the entry.
Apply for A Residence Permit
After the entry of the resident journalist with J-1 visa and his/her accompanying spouse and minor children, they shall apply for residence permits at the Exit and Entry Administration Office of the Beijing Municipal Public Security Bureau within 30 days according to the Regulations of the People’s Republic of China on Administration of the Entry and Exit of Foreigners. The residence permit is valid for one year generally, but does not exceed the validity of the passport.
The foreign journalists in Beijing shall apply for the residence permit with following materials:
1. Valid passport and visa
2. Proof of accommodation registration in Beijing
3. Fill in the Application Form for Visa and Residence Permit of Foreigners with the seal of the resident news agency and affix a recent 2-inch bareheaded photo on a white background;
4. Foreign resident press card issued by the Information Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of China;
5. Foreigners who apply for a residence permit for the first time at the age of 18 or above shall submit a Health Certificate issued by the entry-exit inspection and quarantine department;
6. Accompanying spouse and minor child shall provide the residence permit or resident press card of the journalist, as well as a letter from the resident news agency;
7. The spouse shall provide proof of marriage;
8. Proof of kinship between parents and minor children shall be provided;
9. Short-term journalist with “J-2” visa transferred to resident journalist who needs to apply for a residence permit shall provide a letter from the Information Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of China;
5 working days required for applying a residence permit.