Residence Permit for Study Application and Extension


Font Size:   A   A   A

I. Applicants

1. Foreigners studying in Beijing for a long time.

2. Foreign students studying at institutions of higher learning in Beijing and indeed needing to participate in the off-campus internship at relevant enterprise units in Beijing, as needed for professional training.

II. Application Materials and Requirements

(I) Valid passport or any other international travel document.

(II) Foreigner Visa Application Form completed in black ink, with a recent 2-inch full-face bareheaded colored photo with white background and the official seal of the recruiting unit attached.

(III) Valid residence registration of the applicant at a local police station or hotel in Beijing.

(IV) A foreigner applying for residence permit for study and extension must submit:

1. the letter specifying the period of schooling or the admission or enrollment certificate given by the school where he or she is studying or will study, if he or she holds the X1 visa.

2. the Visa Application Form of Foreign Students for Studying in China (Form JW201/JW202), or the letter given by the Beijing Municipal Commission of Education on the approval for his or her study application, if he or she holds any other kind of visa.

3. if he or she is at or above the age of 18 and applies for a residence permit valid for more than one year, a health certificate issued by the domestic entry-exit health and quarantine department. Such certificate is valid for 6 months from the date of issuance.

(V) A foreigner applying for the off-campus internship must submit:

1. the studying certificate and the proof on the consent of off-campus internship (both in Chinese) given by the school where he or she is studying, specifying the full name of the internship unit or enterprise, and internship period and content.

2. the internship reception proof (in Chinese) or internship contract given by the internship unit or enterprise, specifying the basic information of the intern student, and his or her school, internship period and content. The relevant contents specified in the proof issued by the internship unit or enterprise shall be consistent.

(VI) Other application materials to be submitted as required by the exit-entry administration bureau as the case may be.

III. Time Limit for Application

A residence permit valid for 180 days at least, or the period of schooling specified by the school at most may be applied for.

IV. Notes

1. Applicants must accept an interview. Any foreigner aged under 16 or over 60 or having difficulty in getting about due to illness that applies for the residence permit or the extension of the residence permit may entrust the inviting entity, his/her relative or the relevant professional service agency to do that on his/her behalf (with a copy of the agent's ID card submitted), provided that such applicant shall accept it when the exit-entry administration bureau notifies his/her of an interview. 

2. Originals of application materials must be submitted for check with copies thereof retained. 

3. Related evidentiary materials in foreign languages (except English) must be translated into Chinese.

4. Those that have not canceled China's household registration shall cancel it before applying for a residence permit, and submit the certificate of cancellation issued by the police station when necessary.

5. Those under the age of 18 that apply for a residence permit for the first time in China shall also submit their birth certificates, parents' passports and overseas settlement certificates.

V. Regulatory Tips

1. A foreigner residing in China that applies for an extension of residence shall apply for it 30 days prior to expiration of the residence permit.

2. An applicant may legally stay in China against a return receipt if his or her passport or any other international travel document held is taken away and saved for the certificate application.

3. In case the public security organ discovers that any foreign student takes an internship outside the internship place or beyond the internship period specified in the relevant application, the foreign student will be punished according to the law.

4. A foreigner that has any change in residence permit registration (including the holder's name, gender, date of birth, reason and period for residence, date and place of issuance, and passport number or any other international travel document number) shall apply to the exit-entry administration bureau of public security of the local people's government at or above the county level for handling the change within 10 days upon such change.

5. Where a recruiting unit discovers that any recruited foreign student has left the unit, or violates rules on exit and entry administration or dies or is missing, it shall make report to the relevant entry-exit administration bureau in a timely manner.

6. The exit-entry administration bureau of public security may check the authenticity of an application by means of interview, phone inquiry or field investigation, in which the applicant, and the entity or individual providing the invitation letter or evidentiary materials shall cooperate.

7. Decisions made by the exit-entry administration bureau of public security on not accepting the extension, renewal or reissuance of ordinary visas, not handling residence permits for foreigners and not extending the residence period shall be final and conclusive.

The notes shall be subject to interpretation by the exit-entry administration bureau.