Residence Permit for Journalist Application and Extension


Font Size:   A   A   A

I. Applicants

Resident foreign correspondents in Beijing.

II. Application Materials and Requirements

(i) Valid passport or any other international travel document.

(ii) Foreigner Visa Application Form completed in black ink, with a recent 2-inch full-face bareheaded colored photo with white background and the official seal of the employer attached.

(iii) Valid residence registration of the applicant at a local police station or hotel in Beijing.

(iv) Any applicant that enters with J1 visa shall submit a letter issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or the Competent Media Department of the Hong Kong and Macao Affairs Office of the State Council, together with a press card issued upon verification.

(v) Any applicant above the age of 18 that applies for a residence permit valid for more than one year shall submit a health certificate issued by the domestic entry-exit health and quarantine department. Such certificate is valid for 6 months from the date of issuance. 

(vi) Other application materials to be submitted as required by the exit-entry administration bureau as the case may be.

III. Time Limit for Application

The applicant may apply for a residence permit valid for at least 180 days and up to 1 year.

IV. Notes

1. Applicants must accept an interview.

2. Originals of application materials must be submitted for check with copies thereof retained.

3. Related evidentiary materials in foreign languages (except English) must be translated into Chinese.

4. Those that have not canceled China's household registration shall cancel it before applying for a residence permit, and submit the certificate of cancellation issued by the police station when necessary.

V. Regulatory Tips

1. A foreigner that holds a visa indicating that a residence permit is required after entry shall apply for a foreigner residence permit within 30 days from the date of entry.

2. A foreigner residing in China that applies for an extension of residence shall apply for it 30 days prior to expiration of the residence permit.

3. An applicant may legally stay in China against a return receipt if his or her passport or any other international travel document held is taken away and saved for the certificate application. 

4. A foreigner that has any change in residence permit registration (including the holder's name, gender, date of birth, reason and period for residence, date and place of issuance, and passport number or any other international travel document number) shall apply to the exit-entry administration bureau of public security of the local people's government at or above the county level for handling the change within 10 days upon such change.

5. The employer shall report to the exit and entry administration authorities in a timely manner if it finds out that the foreigner has left his/her post, or changed his/her working area or that the foreigner has violated the provisions on exit and entry administration, or has died or disappeared.

6. The exit-entry administration bureau of public security may check the authenticity of an application by means of interview, phone inquiry or field investigation, in which the applicant, and the entity or individual providing the invitation letter or evidentiary materials shall cooperate.

7. Decisions made by the exit-entry administration bureau of public security on not accepting the extension, renewal or reissuance of ordinary visas, not handling residence permits for foreigners and not extending the residence period shall be final and conclusive.

The notes shall be subject to interpretation by the exit-entry administration bureau.