Family members of Chinese citizens residing in Beijing and of foreigners with the permanent residence in China, who are expatriate Chinese and intend to pay a long-term visit to China, including the spouse, parents, parents of the spouse, children, sibling, grandparents, material grandparents, grandchildren, material grandchildren, and child's spouse.
II. Application Materials and Requirements
(i) Valid passport or any other international travel document.
(ii) Foreigner Visa Application Form completed in black ink, with a recent 2-inch full-face bareheaded colored photo with white background attached.
(iii) Valid residence registration of the applicant at a local police station or hotel in Beijing.
(iv) Identification materials of an expatriate Chinese:
1. Any applicant that has Chinese nationality before shall present the following relevant evidentiary materials including the original Chinese citizenship ID card, household registration booklet, household registration cancellation certificate, Chinese passport, and certificate of deregistration issued by the Ministry of Public Security.
2. Any applicant whose both parents are Chinese with foreign nationality or one of the parents is a Chinese of foreign nationality shall present relevant evidentiary materials to prove the said condition, as well as the applicant's birth certificate.
3. Any applicant whose both parents are Chinese or one of the parents is a Chinese shall present relevant evidentiary materials including the identity certificate of the Chinese parent(s), as well as the applicant's birth certificate.
(v) Proof of family membership:
1. The Q1 and Q2 visa holders visiting China must submit the proof of family membership.
2. Any applicant that enters with other types of visas shall submit a marriage certificate, birth certificate, or family membership certificate issued by the foreign competent authority or the notary department, which shall be certified by the Chinese embassy or consulate in that country.
(vi) Identity documents of the visited object and the proof of actual residence for a period of over 6 months:
1. Where the visited object has the Chinese nationality, the Beijing Municipal Household Register (or residence card, residence permit, or residence permit for work), as well as the ID card shall be submitted.
2. Where the visited object is an overseas Chinese, the Chinese passport and evidence of residence abroad, and the Registration Form for Temporary Residence issued by the police station for the residence over 6 months, or the certificate of employment issued by the employer in Beijing for the employment over 6 months shall be submitted.
3. Where the visited object is a Hong Kong or Macao resident, the Mainland Travel Permit for Hong Kong and Macau Residents, the Registration Form for Temporary Residence issued by the police station for the residence over 6 months or the certificate of employment issued by the employer in Beijing for the employment over 6 months shall be submitted.
4. Where the visited object is a Taiwanese, the Mainland travel permit for Taiwan Residents or the Travel Document of the People's Republic of China, and the Registration Form for Temporary Residence issued by the police station for the residence over 6 months or the certificate of employment issued by the employer in Beijing for the employment over 6 months shall be submitted.
5. Where the visited object is a foreigner holding the Foreign Permanent Resident ID Card of the PRC, the Foreign Permanent Resident ID Card of the PRC shall be submitted.
(vii) Any applicant above the age of 18 that applies for a residence permit valid for more than one year shall submit a health certificate issued by the domestic entry-exit health and quarantine department. Such certificate is valid for 6 months from the date of issuance.
(viii) Other application materials to be submitted as required by the exit-entry administration bureau as the case may be.
III. Time Limit for Application
An applicant may apply for a residence permit valid within 5 years.
1. Applicants must accept an interview. Any applicant aged over 60 and having difficulty in getting about due to illness that applies for the residence permit or the extension of the residence permit, may entrust his/her relative and the relevant professional service agency to do that on his/her behalf (with a copy of the agent's ID card submitted), provided that such applicant shall accept it when the exit-entry administration bureau notifies him or her of an interview.
2. Originals of application materials must be submitted for verification with copies thereof retained.
3. Related evidentiary materials in foreign languages (except English) must be translated into Chinese.
4. Those that have not canceled China's household registration shall cancel it before applying for a residence permit, and submit the certificate of cancellation issued by the police station when necessary.
5. Those under the age of 18 that apply for a residence permit for the first time in China must have their nationality identified and submit their birth certificates, parents' passports and overseas settlement certificates.
V. Regulatory Tips
1. A foreigner that holds a visa indicating that a residence permit is required after entry shall apply for a foreigner residence permit within 30 days from the date of entry.
2. A foreigner residing in China that applies for an extension of residence shall apply for it 30 days prior to expiration of the residence permit.
3. The validity period of the visa subject to application by an applicant shall not be longer than the validity period of the valid passport or any other international travel document of the applicant.
4. An applicant may legally stay in China against a return receipt if his or her passport or any other international travel document held is taken away and saved for the certificate application.
5. A foreigner that has any change in residence permit registration (including the holder's name, gender, date of birth, reason and period for residence, date and place of issuance, and passport number or any other international travel document number) shall apply to the exit-entry administration bureau of public security of the local people's government at or above the county level for handling the change within 10 days upon such change.
6. The exit-entry administration bureau of public security may check the authenticity of an application by means of interview, phone inquiry or field investigation, in which the applicant, and the entity or individual providing the letter of invitation or evidentiary materials shall cooperate.
7. Decisions made by the exit-entry administration bureau of public security on not accepting the extension, renewal or reissuance of ordinary visas, not handling residence permits for foreigners and not extending the residence period shall be final and conclusive.
The notes shall be subject to interpretation by the exit-entry administration bureau.