Beijing will persevere in clean energy strategy, exploit new and renewable energy sources according to local conditions, actively bring in high-quality clean energy from other cities and strive to establish a clean energy system based on electric power and natural gas and supplemented by geothermal energy and solar energy. By 2017, total coal consumption will be reduced to less than 10 million tons, representing a decrease of 13 million tons compared with the level of 2012. Coal usage will account for less than 10% of total energy consumption while high-quality energy consumption will account for more than 90%.
1. Supply of clean energy will be more guaranteed. By 2017, external electric power will account for about 70%, and electric power usage will account for about 40% of total energy consumption in Beijing.
2. Power generation will be gasified. Beijing will quicken the construction of four thermal gas power centers.
3. Clean energy for production will be promoted. Beijing will reduce coal consumption through closing of polluting enterprises, clean energy transformation and other means to supply clean energy for production.
4. No coal will be gradually promoted in the six districts (Dongcheng District, Xicheng District, Chaoyang District, Haidian District, Fengtai District and Shijingshan District) in Beijing. In 2015, no coal was achieved in urban core.
5. "Coal reduction and replacement" will be promoted in rural-urban continuums and rural areas. By 2016, use of gas cooker and elimination of inferior bulk coal will be basically achieved and civil bulk coal consumption will be significantly axed in rural areas.
6. Coal reduction will be promoted in suburban districts. Suburban district or county governments will implement total coal consumption control. By the end of 2017, 10t/h and below coal-fired boilers will be basically eliminated in urban areas in suburban districts and counties. Established coal-fired centralized heating centers will be encouraged and promoted to carry out clean energy transformation.
7. A sound green energy distribution system will be established.
8. Energy efficiency will be raised. Beijing will pursue energy conservation and consumption reduction technologies to reduce energy demand from source and facilitate the reduction of air pollutant emissions. By 2017, energy consumption per unit industrial added value will decrease by about 20% compared with the level of 2012.