Beijing will adhere to the technical route of giving priority to buses, enforcing strict standards and promoting elimination of heavily polluting vehicles, strengthen the guidance of economic policies and enhance administrative constraints, so as to facilitate the development of energy-saving and clean vehicles in Beijing. By 2017, total gasoline and diesel consumption will decrease by more than 5% compared with the level of 2012, cutting down pollutant emissions from vehicles.
1. Public transport will be actively promoted. By 2017, Beijing will strive to raise the proportion of trips taken on public transit in the downtown to 52% and the proportion of public transport in motorized travel to over 60%.
2. Standards on emission and oil products supply of new vehicles will be constantly made strict.
3. Elimination of old and outmoded vehicles will be quickened. By 2017, the total number of eliminated old and outmoded vehicles will reach 1 million.
4. New and clean energy vehicles will be energetically popularized. By the end of 2017, the number of new and clean energy vehicles in use will reach 200,000.
5. Vehicle restructuring and pollution reduction will be promoted.
Adjustment of bus structure: By 2017, the proportion of buses powered by new and clean energy will reach around 65%; bus fuel consumption will decrease by 40% compared with the level of 2012.
Adjustment of taxi structure: By 2017, among scrapped and renewed vehicles, the number of electric vehicles, natural gas vehicles and hybrid electric vehicles will each reach 5,000; taxi fuel consumption will decrease by 20% compared with the level of 2012.
Adjustment of passenger vehicles structure: By 2017, the proportions of natural gas passenger vehicles in suburban areas and within the Fifth Ring Road will reach 50% and 20% respectively, and the number of electric sight-seeing buses for demonstration operation will reach 300; fuel consumption of passenger vehicles in suburban areas and in the tourism industry will decrease by 20% and 5% respectively compared with the levels of 2012.
Adjustment of dump trucks and sanitation trucks structure: By 2017, the proportion of electric sanitation trucks will reach 50%; fuel consumption of vehicles in the environmental sanitation industry will decrease by 20% compared with the level of 2012.
Adjustment of freight vehicles structure: By 2017, the proportion of electric vehicles for postal delivery in urban areas will reach 50%; fuel consumption of vehicles in the postal industry will decrease by 15% compared with the level of 2012.
Adjustment of low-speed vehicles structure: By 2017, the replacement rate of low-speed vehicles with pickups and light trucks will reach 60%.
6. Regulatory policies will be perfected. Beijing will accelerate the construction of beltways and strive to finish them by 2017 to reduce transit by heavy trucks.