Instructions on Application for S2 (Private Business) Visa Extension and Renewal for Foreigners


Font Size:   A   A   A

ⅠApplicant Eligibility
1. The foreigners who pay a short-term visit to their foreign family members residing in Beijing because of their work or study. The family members include spouse, parents, the spouse’s parents, children, siblings, grandparents, grandchildren, and children’s spouse.

2. The foreigners who need to reside in Beijing due to other private business.

II. Supporting Documents and Relative Requirement
1. Valid passport or other international travel documents.

2. Completely filled VISA / STAY PERMIT / RESIDENCE PERMIT APPLICATION FORM with recent half-length, white background, bareheaded, full-faced 2-inch color photo. Please fill in the application form in black ink or sign pen.

3. Valid accommodation registration of the applicant provided by the local police station or hotel of present residence.

4. S2 Visa Holders should submit the residence permit of the foreigner to be visited and a proof of family relationship.
A proof of family relationship refers to a valid marriage certificate, birth certificate, adoption certificate and other notarization documents by relevant national authorities; or a marriage proof, birth proof, kinship proof, name change proof issued by their Embassy in China. As for non-S2 visa holders applying for an S2 visa,their marriage proof, birth proof, kinship proof and name change proof etc. issued by the foreign authorities and notary departments have to be authenticated by the Chinese Embassy in their country.

5. The applicants with other private business should submit proofs of the private business or humanitarian causes.

6. Other supporting materials that the Exit And Entry Administration Department requires.

Ⅲ Timeline for Application
1.For the extension of S2 visa, the applicants who visit relatives can apply for an extension of no longer than 180 days; the others can apply for an extension of no long than 90 days.

2.For the renewal of S2 visa, the applicants can apply for a visa with entry validity of no longer than 3 months, duration of stay of no longer than 180 days, and zero or single entry. The continuously accumulated term of validity of the renewed visa cannot exceed 1 year since the date of the current entry.

3.The extension for a longer duration of S2 visa is only valid for this referred entry and does not affect the entry times and period of validity of the original visa. The accumulated length of extension shall not exceed the original duration of stay specified in the visa.

Ⅳ Points for Attention
1.The applicant shall go through a face-to-face interview. However, for applicants who are aged under 16 or above 60, or inconvenient to travel due to disability, the host person, or the applicant’s relatives, or a particular service agency can submit the application on behalf of the applicant (a copy of the trustee’s ID is required). Nonetheless, if the Exit And Entry Administration Department notifies the applicant that an interview is necessary, the applicant must go through the interview personally.

2.For the above-stated materials, the original documents need to be verified, and submit the copies.

3.Any application materials in foreign language (except English) should be translated into Chinese by qualified translation Company before submission.

4.Applicant who doesn’t nullify cancel China's household registration should apply after the cancellation of household registration. The relevant cancellation certificate issued by local police station of the registration shall be submitted if the Exit-entry Administration Department consider it necessary.

5.Foreigners under 18 who submit the application for the first time in China must submit their birth certificates, passports of parents and overseas residence certification.

6. Relevant rules please refer to No. 23 Notice of the Regulations on Foreigners’ Visa Application.

(For reference only)

(source: Beijing Municipal Public Security Bureau)